Horizons National is an award-winning, tuition-free, academic and enrichment program serving low-income, public school students on the campuses of independent schools, colleges, and universities across the country. To double the number of students served, Horizons National asked The Hatcher Group to help engage local affiliates to raise $1 million during a one-day #HorizonsGivingDay.
We provided Horizons National local affiliates with the tools and content to engage their existing networks of board members, VIPs, community leaders and elected officials and media. We:
- Created a fun “Plug ’n Play” social media toolkit, along with a detailed content calendar, containing sample Facebook posts, tweets and memes, designed to build “buzz.”
- Researched influential users to target and related hashtags to help amplify the campaign.
- Presented at Horizon’s yearly annual meeting demonstrating how social media could be used to build participation in #HorizonsGivingDay
- Designed an email campaign to build excitement and give affiliates ideas on how to participate.
On May 20, Horizons affiliates and supporters nationwide from across the country joined hands and hearts to raise $1 million to bring the power of Horizons to more children.
The results? $1,009,622 raised by 45 Horizons affiliate programs from a total of 1,853 individual gifts!
- 1,400 tweets from 350 Twitter handles generated 17.3 million impressions to 10.6 million Twitter accounts.
- 1 celebrity (Allison Williams) inspired 310 individual donations totaling $22,837 (and lots of candy!)
- 1 tweet from one basketball player (@Shaq) that resulted in 9.9 million impressions
— SHAQ (@SHAQ) May 20, 2015