CASE STUDY: ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
1199SEIU Maryland/DC Chapter
FIGHTING FOR A FAIR MINIMUM WAGE
1199SEIU, one of the largest healthcare unions in the country faced strong opposition across the state to pass a bill to raise Maryland’s minimum wage. Seeking to help their members and working families earn a sustainable wage, they formed a Fight for $15 coalition and turned to The Hatcher Group to develop a strategic communications campaign to help workers afford the costs of quality healthcare and retire with dignity.
Messaging and Branding
The Hatcher Group has worked with the 1199SEIU Maryland/DC chapter since 2017. In 2019, we began to work with their Fight for $15 coalition to raise Maryland’s minimum wage.
- We created a strategic campaign communications plan to guide our work during the intense 90-day Maryland session
- We developed compelling messaging, which we used on one-pagers for legislators, social media and the coalition website.
- We gained positive media coverage to highlight the coalition’s work on the issue through press conferences, press releases, press statements, pitching, op-eds and Letters to the Editor.
- We created a steady stream of social media toolkits, including organic posts, memes and paid ads.
On March 28, 2019, Maryland became the sixth state to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
- The bill was passed — not once, but twice! The coalition helped ensure the Maryland General Assembly passed the legislation and overrode Hogan’s veto within days
- Hundreds of media articles covered the bill, and dozens directly quoted or featured our client, Ricarra Jones of 1199SEIU, the head of the Fight for $15 coalition
- Photos from our events were featured in national new