CASE STUDY: PUBLIC HEALTH & WELLNESS
HealthCare Access Maryland
Promoting Access to Affordable Health Insurance
HealthCare Access Maryland (HCAM) is a statewide public health-focused nonprofit that served as the navigator organization to help residents in Central and Western Maryland learn about and sign up for health insurance. In that role, HCAM works in several jurisdictions to provide one-on-one support to people enrolling in insurance. A key challenge they face is reaching certain populations that are less familiar with signing up for health insurance and don’t know about affordable options through the Affordable Care Act.
Messaging & Branding
HCAM called on Hatcher in 2015 and subsequent years to implement a public education campaign to reach Marylanders in six jurisdictions. As a longtime client, HCAM trusted us to create a cost-effective and compelling campaign.
- We developed a multiprong campaign and advertising strategy, including earned media outreach, social media content and advertising, radio and TV ads, and billboard and transit ads.
- We developed messaging focused on the affordability of insurance options and created high-caliber, visually engaging ads.
- We purchased airtime, wrote and recorded radio ads, and shot and edited TV spots in English and Spanish. We then negotiated advertising placements for radio, TV, transit, and billboard space.
- We helped plan an outreach event focused on the Hispanic population in East Baltimore and brought in the local Spanish-language station to promote it.
- We created ongoing social media content and a regular email blast for HCAM and its partners.
Our 2018 integrated ad campaign helped HCAM sign up more than 10,000 people for insurance, giving many more Marylanders the opportunity to lead healthier lives.
The ad campaign produced impressive results across platforms:
- 1,602 clicks and 1,329,282 impressions through Connected TV channels
- 3,942 clicks from Google search ads; the average click cost $0.51
- 1,200 unique opens from e-blasts
- 2,902 clicks on Facebook ads; the average click cost between $.99 and $1.13 compared to the industry average of $1.32