CASE STUDY: EDUCATION
National Assessment Governing Board
Showcasing ‘The Nation’s Report Card’
In October 2017, The Hatcher Group was hired by the National Assessment Governing Board as its lead communications consultant. The Governing Board is a federal agency that oversees and releases the results from the National Assessment of Educational Progress—known as The Nation’s Report Card, administered by the U.S. Department of Education. These results are the longest-running indicator of how U.S students are doing in core academic subjects. With state and local assessments of K-12 students in transition, the information provided by NAEP on U.S. students’ academic performance is more important than ever.
The Hatcher Group supports the Governing Board’s strategic vision of making scores and other relevant data gathered by NAEP more visible, better understood, and of greater utility to core audiences and partners.
We showcase results on new Report Cards at major national release events. These take place in either Washington, D.C., or in communities selected for their relevance to the topic, such as a recent event on technology and engineering results held in the Research Triangle city of Raleigh, N.C. Our approach to event presentations, panels and videos incorporates showing students learning NAEP content in exciting ways.
We highlight the progress states have made in NAEP over time in as series of case studies. Our case studies explore how states with improving NAEP scores have taken NAEP into account when planning improvement efforts and to inform state assessment policy. They have received earned media coverage and positive engagement from stakeholders and partners.
We keep NAEP in the national conversation through social media. We have increased the number and frequency of posts, expanded engagement with targeted audiences and partners, and added graphics and short videos highlighting results and information gleaned from the assessments.
We design and develop graphics and videos that bring NAEP content to life, including engaging social media graphics, event materials, and compelling videos that highlight the importance of NAEP subjects, such as a recent video about how students at a North Carolina middle school use technology to problem-solve.
The relationship between Hatcher and the Governing Board has been collaborative and creative. As a result, Hatcher has become a trusted partner not only to develop material, but to provide strategic counsel in challenging situations.
- Increased Twitter engagement by 598%
- Increased Twitter followers by 27%
- Increased total retweets by 268%
- Increased Facebook fans by nearly 10%
- The Hatcher Group redesigned the Governing Board newsletter and began sending it out in December 2017. The newsletter is sent to an audience of approximately 7,900 people monthly.
- Hatcher produced a widely viewed video to highlight data on students’ attitudes toward and scores on reading. The video combined student commentary with graphics of compelling data.
- Participation in live events reached record numbers. For NAEP Day, April 10, 2018:
- 175 people attended the morning release; 100 people attended the afternoon release
- 653 people viewed the webcasts
- Nearly 3,000 people tweeted more than 5,000 times on NAEP Day; #NAEPDay trended in D.C.; #NAEP trended nationally