CASE STUDY: EDUCATION
The Wallace Foundation
Communicating Complex Knowledge
The Wallace Foundation is a national philanthropy focused on improving education and enrichment for disadvantaged children and fostering the vitality of arts for everyone. For the past decade, The Hatcher Group has been proud to serve as their primary communications consultant. The foundation relies on The Hatcher Group’s deep knowledge and expertise in education and policy and involves us as a thought partner in the planning and execution of all its major communications activities.
The Hatcher Group’s partnership with The Wallace Foundation has grown significantly over the years to employ a full suite of creative strategies, tactics, and products to convey the results of the organization’s grantmaking. Our work includes:
- Managing the foundation’s relationships with about two dozen education organizations that serve as communications partners for Wallace, sharing the research and insights from Wallace widely with their audiences
- Media relations, including releasing approximately 15 “knowledge products” each year
- Planning and executing events such as the release of a landmark study on the Foundation’s signature Principal Pipeline Initiative
- Working with selected states to prepare tailored communications materials about the federal Every Student Succeeds Act
- Conceptualizing and producing videos and podcasts
On an ongoing basis, we write blog posts, support digital strategies including ads, provide crisis communications support, consult on marketing research, manage grants, and provide strategic communications support and counsel.
The Hatcher Group understands that credibility is the cornerstone of Wallace’s communications approach. The Foundation’s motto is “say more as we know more.” We get results that connect Wallace with the audiences it wants to reach and help the foundation fulfill its goal of answering important questions that help strengthen practices and policies within a field.
- In April 2019, The Hatcher Group and Wallace released a landmark study by the RAND Corporation capping the foundation’s signature Principal Pipeline Initiative, which was a success across all fronts
- We managed a live event with more than 300 attendees
- More than 1,000 people joined the livestream presentation
- 13 media outlets covered the news of the Principal Pipeline Initiative
- 529 people tweeted using #PrincipalPipeline producing 1,612 tweets and garnering 10.8 million potential impressions