CASE STUDY: ENVIRONMENT
4 The Delaware
Standing up for Clean Water
More than 15 million people in four states — New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware — depend on the Delaware River for clean drinking water. As the longest undammed river east of the Mississippi, the Delaware River is the backbone of a strong recreation and tourism economy that provides jobs and support to the communities around it. The river has seen improvements over the last few decades, but its health is in jeopardy as federal environmental regulations are threatened.
The National Wildlife Federation (NWF) asked The Hatcher Group to create a strategic communications campaign to increase public awareness about the health and importance of the Delaware River and persuade the four states that share the river to protect this vital natural resource.
Design & Creative
Messaging & Branding
Event Planning & Execution
The Hatcher Group created and implemented a strategic communications campaign to help the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) and its partners increase public awareness about the health and importance of the Delaware River and persuade the four governors whose states depend upon it to work together. Collaborating with coalition partners and government officials from each state, The Hatcher Group developed messaging, branding, and a tagline for the campaign: “4 The Delaware: 15 million reasons to stand up for the Delaware River.”
We brought the campaign to life with a unique logo that shows the collaboration among the four states and created campaign collateral, including infographics, posters, The Hatcher Group helped Waterkeepers Chesapeake communicate its position regarding the Conowingo Dam through a strategic messaging framework and materials targeting policymakers. When the Maryland Department of the Environment announced a settlement agreement with Exelon in the fall of 2019, which did not take necessary environmental protections into account, we helped Waterkeepers Chesapeake respond rapidly via expanded media coverage and op-eds.
The campaign culminated with an event, the Delaware River Governor’s Leadership Summit, at the Seaport Museum in Philadelphia in May 2019, during which three of the four governors signed a public proclamation to restore the Delaware River. The governors also participated in a moderated forum that garnered excellent media coverage. The Hatcher Group supported the governors’ staff and NWF in planning the event and handling logistics, design, digital, and media outreach.
- Brought campaign to life with unique logo that shows the collaboration among the four states
- Created campaign collateral, including infographics, posters, banners, and fact sheets
- Designed and implemented social media campaign
- Developed grassroots petitions
- Garnered positive media coverage in Bucks County Courier Times, The Inquirer, Insider NJ, The Intelligencer, KYW-AM, and WSKG-FM
- Organized and managed event planning and outreach for the Delaware River Governor’s Leadership Summit at the Seaport Museum in Philadelphia in May 2019, at which three of the four governors signed a public proclamation to restore the Delaware River